Training your dog is essential to teach obedience, good behavior and a primary step to communicate. No responsible dog owner would like to have a dog that will not listen to instructions and makes you uncomfortable in public.
Dogs are innocent creatures and we can not expect good behavior without training. Dog training helps to reduce jumping, barking, growling and stop chewing house hold items. It also helps to encourage activities using their brain.
It is best to start training as early as possible also do not wait your dog to start bad behavior. Training small puppy is easier than grown up dog. Small puppy can be trained from the beginning of eighth week.
There are some basic obedience training commands that all dogs should know.
– give or drop it
– leave it
Along with these, you should keep in mind few tips while working with your dog.
1. Socialize your dog: Poor socialization is one of main cause for barking, chewing, growling, etc. Take him to parks and other places where he can meet a variety of people, animals, dogs and other things. Let him to mingle with them.
2. All dogs learn at different rates: The learning time taken by each dog may different and depends on the breed. Do not worry if your dog takes more than normal time to understand your instructions. You can also adopt alternative techniques to teach.
3. Train your dog with motivation: Motivation makes your dog want to learn better and faster. Each time when your dog shows good behavior or obeys your commands, appreciate and give him a treat. Also you can provide him toys, privileges or other things which will help encourage him. Never give attention or offer treat when he shows undesired actions and ignore him at that point of time. Wait until he stops bad behavior; praise him for stopping unwanted behavior.
4. Be consistent: Consistency in the behavior of family members is important. For example if you are teaching 'stay', all of your family members should know how to communicate and under what circumstances should command him.
5. Do not get frustrated: Using violent behavior is the most horrible training system. Dogs will not learn anything from a frustrated owner. Punishing will not teach your dog easily. This may increase the aggressive behavior of your dog. Training should always be a fun filled and cheerful session.
6. Make it clear to him that you are the leader: First of all your dog should understand that you are the master and he must follow you. Never let him to walk before you and do not allow him to sit on furniture along with you. Collar training or the commands you give will have a good result and he will realize that you are the boss.
7. Maintain regular time for training session: Select the best time for training and to be done when your dog is in good mood and health. Always try to keep the training session on the same time.
8. Exercise a release word to end a command: For example, when your dog has been in situ position and you are completed the command, say the word like "free" to inform him to get up from that position.